Quote of the Week

"I used to be someone else, but I traded him in based on the events of the day. So yeah I'm pretty much open to a buffet of possibilities" - My good buddy Krishna

Let’s Get to the Point


Circle

A complete series forming a connected whole; a cycle.


 

This, in whole, is the definition of a circle. It starts at point "A" and travels an undefined path, so long that it is round, and winds up once again at the aforementioned point "A". It never really explores its full potential, but merely observes what "could be" from a distance; a distance safe and far enough away to avoid complete and total failure. If it truly desired to be, this circle could have been something better; something more than just a single point. He (or she) could have been more engaged or even a little more daring, like his friend Strait Line, who at one point started out just like the circle at point "A", full of potential, with nothing but an open path in front of him.

The friendship between these two geometric shapes goes way back, to a point in time that is debated daily by amateur philosophers, like the local bartender at your favorite watering ditch. At this point, you may be asking yourself, "What is the point of all of this?" Well, the point is that we all start off like "A", full of life and a desire to unequivocally go where no point has dared to travel. Seldom does the novice point start off thinking, "You know, I think I will choose a path circular in nature; one that, after all is said and done, has no true beginning and no identifiable end!" There are some who take this approach, but we usually reserve a space for them, at some point or another, in a home where they can feel free to not express themselves in a meaningful way, and only engage other members of their surroundings when the doctor tells them there will be no pudding tonight if they don't play nicely with the other psychos. To be fair, I guess we're all a little psychotic in our own special way, but I have long since digressed.

I was thinking the other day about my life up to now and it wasn't quite clear where I was at; I knew where I had been, with my life experiences playing like syndicated television over and over in my head. I was never a big fan of shows like Seinfeld or Friends, but hand to God, every time I turn on the boob tube and venture over to one of the lesser rated broadcast stations, they are almost always showing an episode of these shows that I have seen! How the fuck is this possible?! I purposely avoided shows like this during my wasted youth, when I was too lame and inexperienced in life to fully grasp the wit laden innuendos and over/undertones of these comedic satires! I may still be lame, but now, I definitely have the experience. From time to time, I find myself marveling at the notion that it took me until my late twenties to fully appreciate The Simpsons, arguably one of the greatest "sitcoms" of the 20th century; thank you Family Guy for opening my eyes.

So here I am, reviewing my chosen path and trying to see the forest for the trees (yes, it is FOR and not THROUGH!), but it wasn't until a recent conversation with a guest at my new place of employment, that I was fully able to understand the point of all of this; that I had come ALMOST full circle. But not quite; it seems that through my travels of ups and downs, I have returned to a familiar place but in many ways it is noticeably different. I've been here before, serving people from all walks of life, but for some odd, unexplained reason, I seem to enjoy it more than I did before. Maybe it is because it's been a while since I've done it and the nostalgia will soon wear off, or maybe because money is the only thing I have a vested interest in here, or maybe because I am older and more equipped to deal with certain situations. Regardless of the reason, I can say for the first time in a long time, I am happy. I was engaged in a theoretical discussion the other day by a co-worker who asked if anyone was "truly happy". I thought for a moment and replied "yes". For the life of me, I can't remember the last time I felt this way.

Where does one go from here? The circle was almost complete but now a new path appears before me, as if God himself were saying, "This is not your fate; you shouldn't be here." Not that where I am now is bad, just that it is not what I am supposed to do for the rest of my time. I know that while I am just another wave in the ocean or another brick in the wall, if you will, I whole-heartedly feel that I have more to contribute than simply being able to manage a four-table section. For those of you hoping to find an absolution at the end to this post, I apologize, but this may take some time…

1 comment:

  1. Every time I land on Seinfeld, it's most likely the "Assman" episode. I never watch that show, but I have seen that episode about 5 times.

    ReplyDelete

Hey! You're Just Like Me!

Engineer a Search